Saturday, January 9, 2010

True GRITS

Tomorrow is a VERY special day. A day that pops around only once a year and causes great joy as I grow older. Well, tomorrow isn't the true special day, but we are celebrating. My dear, sweet Gran will be celebrating the day of her birth. For some, a grandmother's birthday wouldn't be pause for celebration, but for me it was one of the first dates I added to my twenty-ten agenda. Why, you are asking? Well, my gran is a the true GRITS. She is one of my inspirations in life.

Have you ever watched an episode of Leave it to Beaver? Cue June Cleaver, add a dash of Paula Deen, a stitch of Martha Stewart, a flair of Scarlett O'Hara and you have my gran's genetic make-up. She is a wiz at anything domestic. Whip up a cake with only the contents of the pantry-not a problem. See a picture of curtains in a magazine-replication no sweat. She knits, crochets, tats, sews, bakes, paints, gardens and tackles anything new that comes her way. Her house could be a spread in Southern Living...down to the mud room. She can search the chicken house antique malls with me for hours, then help me take my find and whip it into true "antique shape." If I ever have a question of taste or tact, I call my gran first. She is the epitome of the perfect Southern Baptist, sang the Baptist hymnal while sitting on the pew matching my sisters in my Sunday shoes and pin-curls, Godly woman. But she always has that Southern flair...it's bred into her very core.

So, all this to say, it's okay to be jealous. She is hard to beat. Ask me what I want to be when I grow up and hands down I'll answer...my gran.

No comments:

Post a Comment