Monday, November 15, 2010

Over the river & through the woods to Grandmother's house we go...

So, in just a few short days I will be packing my bags, charging the iPod, and grabbing my favorite reading materials for my FIRST Meggs family Thanksgiving. We’re car-tripping for seven hours-6 people, 1 suburban.

Here’s the thing, I’ve NEVER missed a Lucal (mom’s family) holiday. 22 years of perfect attendance. I’m super excited to meet my future extended family, but it’s slightly bittersweet. No walk through the woods at the farm. No attempt to take a cousins picture with everyone’s eyes open and no one laughing. No mom’s pumpkin pie. No snickering at the lecture my brother will get about gun safety. I’ll miss the name draw for Christmas and watching the Rockettes open the Macy’s Turkey Day parade with dad.

I’m struggling.

And I’m nervous.
These people are Drew’s family. I grew up in Brushy Pond, Alabama. I can pretend cool polish, but deep down I’m still a ten-year-old scrapper who wears cowboy boots and jumps in the lake in October just because I can. I played chicken baseball in chicken houses. AND I’m quirky. I’ll be the first to admit the fault. By quirky I mean I’m opinionated. I like odd clothes. I love antiques. I’m overall strange. I think quirky is a polite way to say weird.

So, if you happen to think of me while you’re gorging on turkey and cranberry sauce from a can, send a prayer up that I don’t make anyone raise an eyebrow at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment