Growing up in a small town is much like having a massive dysfunctional family. You have your sisters with whom you share all your inner thoughts and dreams. You have your overprotective brothers. You have your cousins who randomly appear in your life from time-to-time. You have your Great-Aunt Idas, who you see once a year, but love just the same.
This week my small-town dysfunctional family experienced a horrible tragedy. A sweet family member was killed in a car accident. My heart literally shattered when I heard the news. Although this person was more of Aunt Ida for me, I still felt the pain of knowing her light would no longer reach the world.
My first encounter with ESJ was in middle school. She was glamourous even then. I envied her hair and her style. We ran the high school block together occasionally on nice days. We swapped fashion mags in Wilhite's class when we probably should have been doing something productive. We had table parties at the lunchroom table we shared one semester. She longed for Italy and travel, I longed to marry Drew. Secretly, every girl wanted to be her or raid her closet.
As I posted a few days ago, God's plan is bigger than we can fathom. Although hearts are breaking, God will prevail. I remind myself daily to rejoice in His plan and not question why we must endure tragedy. If you happen to read this, pray. Pray for the family and friends that must endure the days to come. Most of all, pray that tragedy brings restoration.
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment