Question: How many life lessons have I learned from Mamma Mia? Answer: Too many to count.
Well, one of my twenty-ten goals was to save the moo-lah. From past experience I know I have a major weakness for shopping and jewelry. Yet, not just any jewelry...expensive stuff. I pride myself on bargain shopping. Somehow I always manage to stumble upon amazing deals. A friend of mine swears that the fashion gods continually smile upon me. But jewelry? Never.
A few months ago when reality hit that I had to become a "grown-up" and no matter how many times I sang the song from PeterPan, I Won't Grow Up circumstances did not change, I decided to fill my jewelry box with pieces that I could wear now or twenty years from now. Thus began the Yurman addiction, which then spread to John Hardy...and so the pattern continues.
A few days ago Drew and I were walking through the mall on a Sunday afternoon when one of those kiosks in the center caught my attention. The man was selling the best replicas of the classic Yurman cable that I had ever seen. They were remarkable, as was the price tag ($24 versus the $500+ of real Yurman). I considered whipping out the debit card for a brief moment, but then hesitated. Why might you ask? I'm what you might like to call a jewelry snob. I like real...fake just doesn't hold the same sense of satisfaction for me. I know, I know...no one really needs a $500 bracelet. Thus the lesson learned from Mamma Mia. Everything in life involves money. There is no escaping it. Whether it's an expensive bracelet or a donation to United Way, the world revolves around it. It's sickening, but alas, very true. So, in the spirit of improving my twenty-ten, I'm reminding myself that money will not rule my world. I can only wear one bracelet at a time (well I usually wear two or three, but you get the drift), so instead of shopping online for another piece of jewelry to add the the ever growing collection, I am taking a haitus from jewelry lust to enjoy what I already have. This is a tall charge for me, but I can only imagine how much the "grown-up" savings account can grown in the next 358 days without any jewelry shopping...
Mucho love!
~J
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment