Disclaimer: I am NOT a political analyst
Bill O’Reilly is one of my favorite television personalities. He cuts to the point with dry humor. My dad watches him every night and I sit right there with him. Riveted. Yesterday night was no exception.
If I had time, I would probably be a daytime TV junkie. Alas, I am always at school, work or the library during the airing time for shows like The View. Every blue moon I catch a few minutes of the five women sharing their over-rated opinions (can you tell my opinion?) on headlines and interviewing various popular people-of-the-moment. If you are like I am and aren’t sure of who the cast members are, then check this out. http://theview.abc.go.com/
Here is my synopsis of the situation. Bill O’Reilly remarks on Whoopi’s body language. Whoopi fires back she has gas. The topic shifts to politics. Bill blames Obama for the skew on the November elections. The topic shifts to the Muslim mosque controversy. Whoopi and Joy Behar are offended by Bill’s candid remark that Muslims killed us on 9/11. Chaos erupts. Whoopi and Joy Behar storm off the set. Barbara Walters chastises her co-hosts then tries to fix the situation. She persuades Bill to admit the Muslims were extremists. Drama comes to an end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25uyFwWPOZg
Whew, a lot happened in the twenty minute clip. Normally I would shoot the breeze talking about this with dad or my grandparents, but after thinking about it over-night, I am still blown away. Why, you may ask? Whoopi and Joy Behar were offended that Bill O’Reilly made the comment that Muslims killed us on 9/11. They defended the building of the mosque near the 9/11 memorial. I am an advocate for the freedom of religion AND I concede that extremists were to blame. BUT, these women obviously did not think before speaking (I am guilty of the same crime, often, a lot, okay—daily). I think the problem with the mosque is not a slur against Islam. It is more about the families and city that experienced the tragedy of 9/11. The fatalities of 9/11 were not soldiers. These people kissed their spouses and children good-bye, stopped for Starbucks, sprinted the stairs, checked their email, then died sitting at their desk. Extremists or not, the mosque is a painful reminder for the families of these individuals.
I do not live in New York or a Muslim-dominated country. I can’t say that next week the mosque issue will even cross my mind. But I did attend a Christian university where I took an Intercultural class. Ironically, these women defended a religion that in many sects would not afford them the privilege of wearing the clothes they do or speaking in public as a TV host. Not all sects of Islam are the same or are extremists. But they exist, just as Christian extremists do. To me, this issue is tough. Would we allow a memorial or house of worship of an affiliate next to the abortion clinic bombed by Christian extremists? Nope. These individuals were extremists, but what they did was wrong.
Personally I wish we could ship Whoopi and Joy to North Africa or the Middle East where Muslim extremists are in political rule. They would look lovely in a burquaa.
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment