Thursday, October 28, 2010

creative vs. crazy

Photo courtesy of Google images

To say I have interviewed a lot is an understatement. I once did TEN interviews in TWO weeks. Between pageants, scholarship interviews and internship interviews, I have probably completed fifty or more face-to-face “chats.” Interviewers LOVE to describe an interview as “oh, we’ll just spend the next thirty to 45 minutes chatting.” Hmmm, chatting is what I do with girlfriends while shopping, NOT what I do in full business suit regalia (hose, black heels, knee length skirt, jacket, full pearls—the works).

Recently, I really was just “chatting” with a friend. We were sharing war stories about the interview process. I explained to her that I felt I can recite the answers to, “Tell me about yourself” and “Why did you choose accounting” in my sleep. Then we complained about our least favorite question, “Give me three adjectives that you feel describes you.” CRINGE.

Here’s my answer:

I feel the best way to explain myself is through the MOP acronym. Actually, MOP has a dual purpose—both an analogy and an acronym. First, I feel I have personality traits similar to a MOP.

A MOP stands in the closet readily waiting for a task.
A MOP can quickly clean a spill without leaving residue.
A MOP is cleaned, and then stands ready again for a new task.

This leads to why I feel MOP is an accurate description of me.

I am:

Motivated
Organized
Precise

All of these traits relate to my work ethic. I am always willing to try any new task and I remain motivated to do my best work. I have a plan of action for each day that allows me to quickly complete my work. I pay attention to detail and try to complete the job right the first time.

Here I thought I found a perfectly witty way to revive a boring question/answer. Well, I did not receive rave reviews from my friend, so now I am re-evaluating. Maybe a MOP is not the best analogy/acronym.

Here is my new way to describe my self. (Warning—way beyond the three word limit)


Diet coke addict
Punctual procrastinator (think that one through)
Snail mail fan
Headband hoarder
Fearful flyer
List maker
Avid reader
Closet crafter

I tried for symmetry in alliteration. I failed. Since MOP seems to flop (mop/flop, he he) and I’m not sure expressing my addictions and idiosyncrasies at the initial meeting will do the trick, I am back to the drawing board.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the MOP analogy/acronym. I feel like a MOP too!

    ReplyDelete